While humans indulge in a little festive frivolity, Christmas can be a dangerous time for pets, with tempting but potentially poisonous treats adorning every open surface – meaning a third of pet owners will experience an emergency this festive season. 1. Chocolate 🍫 2. Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings - All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs; as are foods that contain them – which means no mince pies for your pooch, we're afraid. 3. Blue Cheese - blue cheese contains a substance called roquefortine C, which dogs are extremely sensitive to. 4. Tinsel - While it might look like a lot of fun to play with, tinsel can cause dangerous blockages in an animal's stomach. 5. Macadamia nuts - Often lurking in biscuits or eaten as a decadent Christmas snack, these nuts cause severe illness in dogs. 6. Garlic, chives and onion - Found in many festive foods like gravy, stuffing and sausages, all Allium species are poisonous to dogs. 7. Snow Globes - Imported versions can contain antifreeze – as little as one tablespoon can be fatal for a cat. 8. Candles - They may create a cosy atmosphere, but candle flames can burn paws and the curious noses of furry friends. There's also risk of them falling over when brushed against. 9. Fairy Lights - pets are curious and will try to chew on anything, including fairy lights – which can burn and even electrocute them. 10. Alcohol - can cause severe liver and brain damage in animals. As little as a tablespoon can lead to problems for your cat or dog.